Dragger on the Rocks
Here is my latest fabric painting…in the works!
The picture was painted on white cotton with black fabric paint (Dye-Na-Flow) that was thickened with Sodium Alginate. The bright white areas, like the seafoam on the waves and the wheelhouse, were masked with a commercial brush-on masking gel prior to painting. This step helps to preserve the brights no matter what I do.
After the painting was finished and the alginate and mask were washed out, I started to hand quilt which is why there are basting stitches running through the piece. The hand quilting thread and stitches were too large in proportion to the lines in the design. I pulled it out and began to machine quilt – not my favorite – so here it sits waiting for me to get inspired again to get quilting. Even though it isn’t finished, I thought that you might like to see another example of painting on fabric with thickened fabric paints or dyes.